I’ve seen adorable waldorf dolls being sewn out there and really wanted to make one of for Camille. Unfortunately, I’m not extremely confident in my sewing skills and didn’t feel very comfortable spending the money on fabric that I could potentially mess up. Then last week I remembered I had two organic, natural colored t-shirts that had been misprinted from one of my designs a while back. So I decided to repurpose that and give it a try. The thread and yarn I purchased was from a thrift shop and I didn’t know if it was wool or cotton or acrylic, since it didn’t have any labels. I tried to dye it with kool-aid and now I’m pretty sure its acrylic because barely any kool-aid stuck. Anyways, I followed a ton of online tutorials. And here they are:
Here’s how she turned out, pretty pleased for about $5. It probably took me a solid 5 hours. I broke it up doing a little here and there. Hand-stiching is actually a great little activity when your husband is reading a book to you. I definitely learned some things that I will do next time I try. I will for sure purchase a thimble and a few strong doll needles for one. Also, I’m pretty sure that the correct doll body fabric would be a little stronger than this, so I will invest the money, now that I have a better handle on what I’m doing. I gave it to Camille last night, she loves her. Called her Allie, we’ll see if it sticks. She took her to her kitchen, made her something and then grabbed her hands and spun around in circles with her. I’ll get a picture of her with the dolly. It definitely made those finger pricks worth it.